It’s here! It’s finally here! The last day of 2019 – the last day of the DECADE!
I, for one, can’t believe.
The 2010s were a wild ride, man. I graduated University, moved provinces (twice), changed careers (twice), and – most importantly – got a dog. But above all of that, the 2010s gave us bops. Jams. Bangers. Whatever the kids call them these days. My friends call me a variety of music related things – DJ Jazzy Jess, Jukebox Jess… to name a few. I am (in my friend group) the go-to music person. This is a bit strange if I’m honest because I have no musical talent whatsoever, and solid heap of my friends are musicians. But that’s besides the point. What I’m trying to say is – I’ve got some playlist cred. So, whether you are looking for some playlist inspo for your New Years Party this evening, or just want a fun reminder of all the fist-pumping party anthems of the early 2010s – here is my list of my top ten favourite popular songs from each of the last ten years. Of course, this is all just for fun. I am definitely not an expert.
Let’s get this party started!
DJ Jazzy Jess’ Top 100 Songs of The 2010s
- Super Bass – Nicki Minaj
- Teenage Dream – Katy Perry
- Like A G6 – Far East Movement
- Rolling In The Deep – Adele
- Stuck Like Glue – Sugarland
- Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
- Grenade – Bruno Mars
- Forget You – CeeLo Green
- Club Can’t Handle Me – Flo Rida
- What’s My Name – Rihanna
As you can tell – I spent most of 2010 in dance clubs. Or crying to Lady Antebellum post-club. Shout out 19 Year old Jess.
- What Makes You Beautiful – One Direction
- Country Girl (Shake it For Me) – Luke Bryan
- Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen
- Countdown – Beyonce
- The Motto – Drake
- Rumour Has It – Adele
- You and I – Lady Gaga
- Motivation – Kelly Rowland
- Ni***s in Paris – Jay-Z & Kanye West
- Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO
Look, okay – I can’t get out of 2011 without LMFAO. They were pretty much the defining artist of the year. But 2011 also gave us One Direction, and isn’t that a bonus?
- We are Young – fun.
- Somebody that I Used to Know – Gotye
- Ho Hey – The Lumineers
- Locked out of Heaven – Bruno Mars
- Mercy – Kanye West
- Swimming Pools (Drank) – Kendrick Lamar
- I Knew You Were Trouble – Taylor Swift
- I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
- Lost – Frank Ocean
- Starships – Nicki Minaj
We really went through it in 2012, huh? I pretty much included Nicki here to lighten it up a bit.
- Body Party – Ciara
- Blurred Lines – Robin Thicke
- Get Lucky – Daft Punk
- We Can’t’ Stop – Miley Cyrus
- My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark – Fall Out Boy
- Best Song Ever – One Direction
- The Way – Ariana Grande
- Boys ‘Round Here – Blake Shelton
- Drunk in Love – Beyonce
- Talk Dirty – Jason Derulo
Apparently, after all the hard times in 2012, we were all back and feelin sexy in 2013.
And yes – I’m including the Best Song Ever here. Maybe I should have listed my love for Harry Styles upfront… either way:
- Blank Space – Taylor Swift
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- Ex’s and Oh’s – Elle King
- Shower – Becky G
- 2 On – Tinashe
- Shut Up and Dance – WALK THE MOON
- Hideaway – Kiesza
- Don’t Tell ‘Em – Jeremih
- Chandelier – Sia
- Uptown Funk – Bruno Mars & Mark Ronson
Full disclosure, I don’t love Chandelier. Never did. But, I can’t doubt it was one of the songs of the year for sure.
- Hello – Adele
- The Hills – The Weeknd
- Lean On – DJ Snake
- Where are U Now – Jack U
- Stressed Out – Twenty One Pilots
- 2 Phones – Kevin Gates
- The Less I Know The Better – Tame Impala
- Antidote – Travis Scott
- Sorry – Justin Bieber
- Want You To Want Me – Jason Derulo
I’m sorry – Antidote came out in 2015? I feel attacked. Anyway, this year could easily have just been the track listing from Tame Impala’s Currents album, but I thought that might be too niche.
- Controlla – Drake
- Work – Rihanna
- This is What You Came For – Calvin Harris
- Can’t Stop This Feeling – Justin Timberlake
- Heathens – Twenty One Pilots
- Broccoli – DRAM
- Side To Side – Ariana Grande
- PILLOWTALK – Zayn Malik
- Closer – The Chainsmokers
- 24K Magic – Bruno Mars
Drake’s Views albums is probably one of the best albums of the decade, honestly. Yes, I spent six years in Toronto – why do you ask?
- HUMBLE. – Kendrick Lamar
- rockstar – Post Malone
- Woman – Harry Styles
- Shape of You – Ed Sheeran
- Body Like A Back Road – Sam Hunt
- Bodak Yellow – Cardi B
- Slow Hands – Niall Horan
- Sorry Not Sorry – Demi Lovato
- Young, Dumb & Broke – Khalid
- Look What You Made Me Do – Taylor Swift
I HAVE SO MANY RUNNERS UP FOR THIS YEAR. For example, everything from Kendrick Lamar’s Damn album (specifically – “Love”). And, honestly, Taylor’s Reputation album was pretty damn good too.
- In My Feelings – Drake / God’s Plan – Drake
- SICKO MODE – Travis Scott
- This is America – Childish Gambino
- I Like It – Cardi B
- Without Me – Halsey
- High Hopes – Panic! At The Disco
- Better Now – Post Malone
- thank u, next – Ariana Grande
- Youngblood – 5 Seconds of Summer
- Yes Indeed – Lil Baby
Or “Blue Tint”, or “Nonstop” or “Mob Ties”… I loved Drake’s Scorpion album.
- Adore You – Harry Styles
- If I Can’t Have You – Shawn Mendes
- bad guy – Billie Eillish
- Juice – Lizzo
- No Guidance – Chris Brown
- Lover – Taylor Swift / Cruel Summer – Taylor Swift
- My Oh My – Camilla Cabello
- NASA – Ariana Grande
- Motivation – Normani
- HIGHEST IN THE ROOM (Remix) – Travis Scott ft. ROSALIA & Lil Baby
2019 – what a beautiful year for pop music this was! If you haven’t listened to it – Harry Styles’ (you might know him as my boyfriend) Fine Line album is definitely worth it. And I’m currently really into the brand new JACKBOYS album from Travis Scott’s label Cactus Jack.
I had no idea I was such a Travis Scott fan until I put this list together.
I hope you liked this list and I’d love to know what your favourite songs are from the past ten years! Leave me a comment below letting me know which ones I missed.
In the meantime – Happy New Year everyone! Please PLEASE PLEASE party safely tonight.