If you’ve been around my blog for a minute, you know of my hate-turned-love relationship with journal writing. A couple months ago, I even wrote a post about the experience of writing my First 100 Pages. Moral of that story: I’m a big fan.
But last night I could not, for the life of me, think of anything to write about. Now that the holidays have come and gone, and seemingly so did all my brain functionality (did you know it’s Thursday right now? Doesn’t it feel like Monday?), I just couldn’t get it together. And honestly, there was so much emotion and stress in December that the last thing I want to do right now is write about anything serious. So, instead of that – I put together a list of light-weight, slightly strange writing prompts for the month. And today I thought I’d share that list with you guys – because let’s be real, we’re all in the same boat here! So lets jump into it!
31 Not-So-Serious Writing Prompts for January
- What is your favourite thing about Wednesdays?
- You are a judge on a celebrity cooking show. The contestants have to prepare a dish combining your favourite two foods. What would it be called? And what would you hope it turned out like?
- What is your favourite word in a different language? Why?
- If you had to wear one pattern for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
- Zebra Print – name five places where it would be questionable to wear it.
- Did you know giraffes only sleep for 12 minutes at a time? Now you do. What are the most random facts you know?
- Go to https://randomwordgenerator.com/ and write about whatever word pops up first.
- What is something that you learned today? (Other than the giraffe fact from #6)
- Scale of 1-10, how much do you love coffee? But be honest about it – would you still love it without the caffeine boost?
- What is the cutest thing your pet did today? (Or, what was the cutest animal video/picture/etc you saw today?)
- What is your lucky number? What is the back story?
- What is your spirit animal? In what ways are you like them?
- Do you think the number 13 is really that unlucky? Elaborate.
- What is your most prized possession that has zero sentimental value?
- If you were to star in any movie, what would it have been and why?
- Speaking of movies – you just won an Oscar! Write out your acceptance speech!
- If you were to record an album, what would it be called and what artist would it most closely resemble?
- What is something that you would hate Oprah to ask you about in an interview?
- You are at a bar and your celebrity crush is eyeing you up! Who are they, and what’s the pick up line you’re going to use to win them over?
- What is something that has always interested you, but you’ve never really known why? (Or, scale of 1-10, how impressed are you about the workings of fax machines… let me know)
- Here’s a random number: 3810. What did this number remind you of?
- Talk about how different your life would be if you were the inventor of Pop Tarts.
- Oh no! Breakfast foods have become illegal! How many days would it take you to adjust to eating spaghetti for breakfast?
- Write out a poetic, hyper-detailed description of a wombat.
- If you could cheat-code it and immediately become an expert in any skill, what would it be?
- What is your favourite video on YouTube? Go rewatch it and write out your thoughts!
- It’s 2020 now – what is something really random that you are proud of yourself for from the past 10 years?
- If you had to pick one decade of music to listen to for the rest of time, what would it be?
- What is something that you are excited for when you get older? (I’m talking like 80s older)
- Write out your favourite quote, and talk about why it means so much to you.
- If a confetti cannon went off every time you picked up your cellphone, how confetti-filled is your house at the end of the day?
And there you have it! A month of really random writing prompts for you to get your post-holiday creativity moving. I hope you loved this list, and I would seriously love to know if you plan on writing along with any of them! If you do, let me know and I’d love to read what you come up with! Specifically the wombat one… please send me all of your wombat descriptions!
PS – Oprah is my idol. I love her. But, my favourite book of all time is A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. If you don’t know, it was marketed as a memoir and was picked for Oprah’s Book Club back in 2006, but when she found out it wasn’t actually a memoir, it was kicked off the Book Club list. It was a huge deal. And I’ve had legitimate, reoccurring nightmares about Oprah asking me what my favourite book is for the last 14 years of my life… if you’re wondering where #18 came from.